FLYING OUT OF QUEEN ALIA AIRPORT
🇵🇸🔜🇺🇸 Headed back to LA for a wedding. Here's a few peculiarities about my home base airport.
- •Uber is BAETrying to argue with taxis is expensive and frustrating, and who has a car? Uber charges a flat 15JD from anywhere in Amman to the airport. No smoking and no hitting-on-the-passenger. Bless.
- •Headed west? Takeoff: 1amAlmost all flights to the states will stick you with a departure time in the middle of the night. Get used to it. ((I fly AirFrance/Delta so I always get into LAX mid afternoon.))
- •I was illegal. Oops.Overstayed my visa by... A bit. The fine is 1.5JD per day. You have to step out of the passport control line to pay your overstay fees. It's a huge pain, but ultimately not a problem.
- •Please remove your... NevermindI was asked to remove my hoodie until I showed them I was only wearing a tank top underneath. What is this, a brothel? Sweatshirt stayed on.
- •Airport special treat: StarbucksI live a few neighborhoods away from Starby's, so it's always a special treat. The airport has a McDonald's and Popeyes... And falafel and shawarma, if you're feeling it.
- •The one Arab stereotype I don't get...Why do Arab families have SO MUCH LUGGAGE?! Almost every family I see at the airport has 3-4 checked bags per person. Where are you going with all that stuff?! (I am a chronic under packer and am going to LA with one checked bag and a carry-on.)
- •See you soon, America!With a brief pain aux chocolate at CDG for brekky.