I work in refugee resettlement and it's been a rough week, AMA
I work for an organization that helps refugees in the immigration process headed to the US. (Yes this is vague and no I can't namecheck the org.) This week has been a bit of a doozy. Ask me anything.
- •It's 2:30am so if I'm slow to respond it's because I fell asleep and will respond in the morningBut I promise to answer everything to the best of my ability!
- •Have you already seen changes?Suggested by @MissJess
- •Right now it's business as usual, but there's a lot of internal memos and constant discussion on our chat groups. We're preparing as much as possible. We're worried about refugees en-route getting deported from US airports. I have Syrian friends-of-friends whose scheduled travel dates have been cancelled / indefinitely postponed.
- •Do you only resettle in the US or will you be able to direct your clients to other countries?Suggested by @jenniferm
- •We're US-focused but we may be looking into referring people to other agencies / countries / etc. (A little unclear at the moment.)
- •What is the main question you get asked, and what had been the most unexpected one?Suggested by @Jaycer17
- •By people in the US: "how do you know these people aren't terrorists trying to trick you?" 😑😑😑
- •How can I help as someone without experience in working with refugees?Places to donate time or money, specific issues to call representatives about?Suggested by @ellenh
- •What is the best way for me, in America, to help refugees both in my country and around the world?Suggested by @MatthewAlmont
- •What can I do to help?Suggested by @shanaz