IF I DIDN'T HAVE MY CURRENT JOB, THIS IS WHAT I'D RATHER BE DOING
I started working on this list while going through international customs at Charles De Gaulle and the security officer yelled at me to "stop texting my boyfriend." This is @ChrisK 's fault.
- •Fiction editor for the New YorkerWhen college applications asked about my career goals, I thought living in NYC and reading short stories all day sounded like ~the dream~
- •EpidemiologistI'm the only person in my family who isn't in the medical field. I find it fascinating, but biology and chemistry... Ugh. Epidemiology is like telling the story of a disease, so that's more my speed.
- •CIA operative in AfghanistanAfter 9/11 I tried to teach myself Pashto using my parents' crappy dial-up internet. I was going to go over there and talk to people, and talking to people would FIX THINGS, dammit. This dream got shattered recently when I finally accepted that maybe this isn't how foreign policy works.
- •Appalachian folklore historianMy people, my state, and gathering stories? Yessss.
- •Artistic director for a theater companyThe dream in college after I interned with Clubbed Thumb in NYC one summer. Part performing, part business, part PR, and part crafting a vision and a voice for an organization... These are a few of my favorite things.
- •Beekeeper in an idyllic European townWhile I find myself, and find true love, over the course of a idyllic summer fraught with the memories of a turbulent secret..,
- •Middle East bureau journalist for a major international news agencyThe real, on-the-path-toward, legitimate career goal.