Nice Attack: What we know so far
- •UPDATE: ISIS STILL HAS NOT CLAIMED THISLittle late. Not their typical MO. Investigators (and me, for what it's worth) think this may have been a "lone-wolf" attack, inspired by but not conducted by ISIS. (Ex: San Bernardino)
- •UPDATE 7/15: 84 killed, 202 wounded
- •UPDATE 7/15: Attacker namedMohammed Lahouaiej Bouhlel, a 31-year old delivery driver, was named as the attacker. He had a criminal record but no known ties to ISIS.
- •Update 7/15: Nice airport was evacuated brieflyFlights resumed shortly thereafter. Probably just a precautionary measure.
- •UPDATE: papers show attacker was French-Tunisian.Tunisia has had problems with Daesh spillover from Libya in recent months.
- •UPDATE: France extends State of Emergency for three months
- •UPDATE: 77 killed, over 100 wounded15 in critical condition
- •Truck drove into a crowdIt is Bastille Day and people were out celebrating. The truck went speeding into the packed Promenade des Anglais.
- •ISIS HAS NOT CLAIMED ITYet. Daesh supporters are going wild on Twitter. French and US leaders are calling it a "terrorist attack" but it is unconfirmed.
- •Driver was shot and killedNo identity released yet.
- •Guns and grenades in the truckUnconfirmed reports that the driver was shooting at pedestrians while driving.
- •Nice is on lockdownPeople are advised to stay inside their homes
- •Paris attacks happened almost exactly eight months agoEight months and one day. Claimed by Daesh.