MOST FRUSTRATING THINGS ABOUT PARENTING
- •Sleep DeprivationThere's a reason sleep deprivation is used as torture. It's extremely effective. It disrupts every mental and physical function. The whole system is thrown offline, and serious consequences occur.
- •Potty TrainingEasily the most confusing and frustrating parenting duty as far what has to be done. There is no consensus on the one right way to do this. Teaching a tiny, underdeveloped human why and how to use a toilet and not just go whenever and wherever is a Herculean task. It sucks.
- •Repeat, repeat, repeatFor such a "smart" species, we sure need a lot of repetition before we learn something. "Cover your cough/sneeze." "Say please/thank you." "We don't bite/hit/kick." "Use your words to say what you want." "Don't look at the sun."
- •TimeYour time is no longer yours. At least for the next 18+ years. There are prison sentences less than that.
- •JudgementEveryone's a critic about how you parent. In-laws, your own parents, other moms, pediatrician, teachers, neighbors, etc. I'm working on not being a part of this too by repeating Amy Poehler's quote, "Good for you. Not for me."