How I Met My Husband
The Nerdiest Love Story Ever.
- •In high school, back in the mid-90s, I got hooked on text-based role playing games.The Internet was young and very, very slow, so instead of WoW, we had MUDs. They looked sort of like this.
- •I played MUDs and MOOs off and on, well into adulthood.I made some good friends and met some creeps, too.
- •One day, this guy I didn't know very well asked whether anyone knew Java.He was taking a class at University. I was a software developer. I now disavow all knowledge of Java, but hey, it was useful that once!
- •We started chatting and getting to know one another better.For a long time, I thought he was too boring to be my "type." He was nice, not especially sarcastic, and he treated me well. It took a couple of months to realize that my "type" sucks.
- •After about five months of getting to know one another long-distance, he came to visit me in Austin in April of 2005.I knew I wanted to marry him before I'd ever met him in person. I tried to convince him to elope with me while he was here, but he didn't go for it.
- •We traveled back and forth between Texas and Canada for several months, then started the immigration paperwork for him to move to Texas and marry me.I had a great job, he was finishing up college - it made sense.
- •The immigration/moving/getting married process was hugely complicated and stressful.That's probably another list.
- •He moved to Texas in June of 2006, and we got married less than a month later.
- •I've never regretted it a day in my life!Ten years later!