Times When the World Was Too Damn Small, Vol. 1
Some encounters seem too unlikely to be coincidental! This is a story of one of those.
- •My BFF is Romanian, but we met while she was working on her PhD here in Austin.
- •She had previously gotten her masters degree in Illinois.
- •One summer, when she was home in Europe for a few months, we decided to meet up and backpack in central and Eastern Europe.I flew in to Budapest from the U.S., and she traveled in from Romania to meet me.
- •So there we were, wandering around Budapest.In 2003, Budapest was a very interesting city. It was just starting to become a little touristy, but it still bore the lingering marks of decades of communism. It was pretty off-the-beaten-path
- •At some point, my BFF was talking about a couple of friends she'd known back in Illinois.She hadn't seen them in five years or more at that point.
- •Not half an hour later...
- •...we ran into those very friends on the streets of Budapest.Neither one of them was Hungarian. None of us had spent any time in Budapest before.