BEST THINGS TO DO IN BRISTOL, UK
- •Go Banksy-huntingMild Mild West, the hanging man on Park Street and the Girl With the Pierced Eardrum are the biggest but there are lots of older and lesser-known pieces dotted around the city. Google Banksy self-guided tour of Bristol.
- •Visit Gloucester RoadThe UK's best high street, period. Famous for its plethora of independent shops, cafés, pubs and restaurants.
- •Get the best view of the Clifton Suspension BridgeFollow signs or a map to the Camera Obscura on Clifton Down. You'll get an amazing view of Brunel's iconic bridge. The Camera Obscura is worth a quick look at too.
- •Visit Stokes CroftAlthough it has has an image problem with its reputation for street drinking and a few undesirables hanging around, this is a completely safe area full of creative and arty types and is well worth a visit. It's the street art capital of England with new works being added every day. Stokes Croft is walking distance from the main shiny, glass-fronted city centre, but couldn't be more different.
- •Eat cheaplyGloucester Road & St Nicholas Market are the two places in Bristol to eat delicious, healthy food. At lunchtime 2 people can easily dine out in either of these locations with drinks) for £12 total.
- •Visit Weston-Super-MareThis is a very old-school British seaside town, just 30 minutes south of Bristol. Pensioners eating fish & chips, kids crying because they dropped their ice cream cone, noisy amusement arcades and donkey rides on the beach. You'll either enjoy it at face value or find it very amusing.
- •Get rat-arsedIf you like to party then Bristol won't disappoint. From hidden cocktail bars (see The Milk Thistle) to student haunts on the Clifton Triangle?you'll find plenty of places for a drink. "Locals" love the harbour-side area, do avoid that at weekends unless you like carnage.
- •Splash the cashEat or drink in Harvey Nichols' restaurant on the top floor. Book a table at the fantastic Casa Mia restaurant. Get the best seats for a touring musical at the Bristol Hippodrome. Go shopping around Quaker Friars nr Cabot Circus. Buy a flat in Clifton Village (or just a coffee).