LEAST FAVORITE PARTS OF MY JOB 👎🏼
I ❤️ my job. These are just the icky parts.
- •Negotiating contractsI'm an artist, not a lawyer!!
- •When people's orders get lost in the mail
- •When people's orders get lost in the mail and they blame me
- •Figuring out what to charge friends who want to order custom workFriends and money are both 👍🏼, but it's never not awkward to tell friends a dollar amount to pay me
- •Cutting cardstock for printsWhy is it so hard to find cheap 5x7" cardstock??? I feel like I've spent half my life doing this.
- •The (very rare) snippy clientIf you buy on Etsy, remember that you are working with a real living person, not a corporation! Being friendly, or, at the very least, polite will make things so much better for everyone involved.
- •Keeping my cat from chewing on print orders while I pack themHe's a monster and I love him so much!!
- •Emailing out a finished portrait only to hear "it doesn't look like them"My least favorite feedback. It feels overly judgmental in a way that "make the nose narrower" or "lighten the hair" doesn't. Also, it's so vague! What ABOUT the portrait doesn't look like the person? Help me help you!
- •When people offer outrageously low $ for custom work.$15 for a portrait that takes me 8 hours to draw? No thanks I'd like to keep paying my bills please.
- •When customers are unhappy with their printsThis is pretty rare and unavoidable in small businesses, but it feels like a smack in the face every time. 😩
- •WHEN PEOPLE POST MY ART WITHOUT CREDIT 👿Don't do it!!!!!!