MORE MOVIES: 10 ADDITIONAL GREATEST FILMS, ACCORDING TO ME
Or, To Challenge Oneself. I was feeling guilty that my response to @ListPrompts had so many titles from my previous "Favorite Movies" list. Here's 10 newbs that, to me, are just as great.
- •Slap ShotRaucuous and subversive hockey movie with a relaxed-iconic Paul Newman in some pretty great 70s fashions.
- •Touch of EvilNihilism, tracking shots, crispy-as-eff black & white photography. As Charlton Heston says in the film, "Oh, Susie."
- •Cat People (1982)Without question, the deepest, most personal movie about people who turn into leopards.
- •Midnight CowboyBest Picture of 1969, this feels like it could be made today. The performances by Jon Voight and Dustin Hoffman are all-timers.
- •Blood SimpleMy favorite Coen Bros'.
- •EraserheadA surreal masterpiece about the terrors of parenthood. David Lynch's 1st. "In heaven, everything is fine. You've got your good things, and I've got mine."
- •Five Dolls For An August MoonMy love of Italian horror genius Mario Bava will eventually take up an irresponsible number of lists. This'n is a loose, jazzy riff on the slasher movie. The soundtrack is Lounge Nirvana.
- •The Ice StormI'm the saddest bastard?
- •PerformancePunk rock editing/direction/gender-bending. Every "cool" movie kneels before it.
- •Near DarkBest vampire movie, full stop. Why would a gang of vampires hang out in the Southwest when they could go to Alaska or somewhere darker for longer? Don't worry about it . . .