Sometimes I Cry at Musicals
It's usually the last song before intermission. But not always…
- •WickedDancing Through Life. The reciprocal dance between Elphaba and Galinda. Also For Good. But who doesn't cry during that song?
- •HairsprayWelcome to the 60s. For some reason, the relationship between a daughter encouraging her mother to do something hard, like leaving the house even though she is self-conscious of her weight just killed me. I lost it.
- •HamiltonIt's Quiet Uptown. Okay, number one, I should not have listened to Hamilton for the first time ever AT WORK. And number two, my parents' youngest child was killed by a drunk driver. And even though the loss of a child almost always causes divorce, they are still married and strong. How I did not lose it during this song is absolutely beyond me.
- •RentA few here. Without You. I'll Cover You (Reprise). Finale B.
- •Mamma Mia!Slipping Through My Fingers. Again the mother and daughter relationship.
- •The Sound of MusicEdelweiss. It's always made me emotional but when I finally noticed that Angela Cartwright (Brigitta) was struggling to hold her tears. Well, now I cry every time.