Top Six Simple Self Defense Techniques
40 years as a martial artist, and it all comes down to this...
- •Stick a finger into the hollow at the base of someone's throat. Crook it slightly. A little bit in and a little bit down can bring an opponent to their knees. I call it the Magic Spot.
- •Grab someone's wrist and twirl it in an arc like a jump rope until their elbow faces up, then press down on said elbow with your other hand. Put some body weight behind it and you have a pretty fair arm bar. Clasp your hands together and do that same arc yourself to break out of a wrist grab.
- •Jerking your knee up and turning it slightly to cover your groin is a good defense against most low kicks.
- •Point your hands at them like you are praying and look over it like a gun sight. Whichever side the punch is coming from, move that hand to intercept. Slam your other heel palm into their nose or chin.
- •Grab someone's ears and twist their head and you can force them to the ground pretty easily.
- •Stomp your heel into the top of someone's foot, slightly to the outer side, to escape a bear hug.
- •A series of loud fake sneezes in someone's face will move just about anyone out of your way without violence.