HOW I SPENT DAY 1 OF SNOWZILLA 2016 IN BALTIMORE WITH NO POWER FOR 10 HOURS
The day peaked early but was pretty much downhill from there (except for the Xbox thing that was pretty great).
- •12:33 a.m. False Fire Alarm.My cat was thrilled.
- •1 - 8:30 a.m. slept like a baby.A dumb, dumb baby.
- •9 a.m. Built an entertainment unit.
- •12:30 p.m. Finished entertainment unitAnd there was much rejoicing.
- •12:45 p.m. Lost all power in the building.20 seconds after plugging in the last thing behind the entertainment system, all the power in our building and many buildings in the area went out.
- •1:45 p.m. Snow accumulating outside.Temperature dropping inside. Still no power.
- •2:45 - 4:45 p.m. Zombiecide!Still no power. Also, no water. That was a fun discovery. Temperature in the apartment: 55 degrees.
- •5 p.m. The cat decided I was the best source of heat.
- •5:25 p.m. Got a free Xbox 360We found an Xbox 360 in the recycling room on our floor last week (took it home, it seemed to work fine) and were trying to find who threw it out just to make sure they meant to throw it out before we wiped it and kept it. Success! Found the former owner who handed us the controllers and told us she had a new system and it was ours to keep. Huzzah! 🙌🎮💯
- •6 p.m. Decided to brave the snow.We heard a bar two blocks away was open and had power. The sidewalks and the roads hadn't been shoveled AT ALL so there really wasn't anywhere clear to walk. We ended up walking through the middle of the road.
- •6:10 p.m. My knees were chilly and my boots were too short.
- •6:15 p.m. Made it to the bar.Usually a three minute walk. 15 minutes in knee-deep snow. So worth it for the warmth and food.
- •8:30 p.m. Began the journey home.These cars were fucked. But we bought an extra pizza to bring home, so all was well.
- •9 p.m. Still no power or heat. Lit candles and built a shrine to Tina Belcher, patron saint of Butts.We collected up all our candles. Tina kept us warm. We played Simpsons trivia for an hour until it was too dark to read the cards by candlelight. The Tina candle was a housewarming gift from a friend. She bought it on Etsy.
- •10 p.m. Fed the catHe's on a strict prescription diet but I read that animals burn more calories when it's really cold so I gave him a little bit extra food and hoped he wouldn't eat it too quickly.
- •10:35 p.m. Cat threw up under the bed.We never let him in the bedroom at night because he's an asshole in the morning but it was so cold we decided to make an exception. He repaid us with vomit and I will never make that mistake again.
- •11:07 p.m. Sent out this sadness tweet from beneath a pile of blankets.
- •11:10 p.m. THE RADIATOR KICKED ON AND ALL THE LIGHTS CAME BACK ON 🎉ALL WAS WELL