WHAT WE MADE FOR DINNER + RECIPES (4/26 - 5/1)
We finally had a week where we weren't traveling long enough to cook most of the nights! Here's what we made.
- •Argentinian Pork with Chimichurri sauce, roasted Brussels sprouts, and fingerling potatoeshttp://www.myrecipes.com/m/recipe/argentinean-pork Our first time using the grill this season! The chimichurri was great, really easy to make, and the pork with the herb crust (is it a crust?) was nice and tender and not overdone at all.
- •Lemony Chicken Saltimbocca with green beans and fingerling potatoeshttp://www.myrecipes.com/m/recipe/lemony-chicken-saltimbocca 😙 <— the face we made while eating this. The recipe calls for unsalted chicken stock but we only had salted chicken stock on hand and OH BOY IT MADE A DIFFERENCE. This was delicious and very easy to make but the extra salt content in the chicken stock really enhanced the lemon in the sauce which meant total taste bud overload. We'll make it again for sure, but definitely go low-sodium.
- •Grilled Chicken with Mustard Tarragon Saucehttp://www.myrecipes.com/m/recipe/grilled-chicken-with-mustard-tarragon-sauce I took point on this meal (usually I'm more of a sous chef to J's chef) and it literally could not have been easier. Perfect weeknight meal. You just mix the sauce in a bowl and pour it over chicken breast cooked in a grill pan on top of a bed of lettuce. Simple but the fresh tarragon makes it feel more complex than it actually is.
- •Flaky Pull-Apart Bread (ok, this wasn't dinner)http://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/2015/10/23/pull-apart-breads/ This was a total breadmaking fail. I had trouble using the milk to melt the butter (it cooled too quickly) which meant I had a yeast malfunction and the dough never quite rose or doubled in size. Not to mention, it didn't bake all the way through. But it tasted okay! You could taste the potential. We salvaged the rest of it by sticking pieces in the waffle iron. Perfect? No. Tasty? Yes.
- •Chicken, Mustard Greens, and Gruyere Quesadillashttp://www.myrecipes.com/m/recipe/chicken-quesadillas-0 "Before trying this I did not think I'd add this to our list of recipes to make again, but...here we are." — direct quote from J. This was a surprising recipe. Neither of us had tried mustard greens before, and cooking quesadillas by folding soft tortillas in the oven instead of btwn 2 flat soft tortillas in a pan wasn't something we'd done before. But it was...really good. The tortillas got flaky and crunchy and the mustard greens were 💯.