Things That Did Not Happen This Weekend
A chronology of our backpacking trip on Catalina Island, paired with photos that make the whole thing look a lot more pleasant.
- •We did not remember a huge bottle of water that we purchased at the airport. It's likely now in some garbage can in SFO
- •We did not miss the torrential downpour that we were hoping would pass over us.
- •As a result we did not come out of our tents for many many hours. (And we did not have hot water for our food that night).
- •The next morning, we did not have dry socks (or dry anything) to hike back in. And the wind was relentless while we tried to pack up.
- •We did not get the voicemail saying that because of extreme weather, the last ferry off the Island would be in the morning. And no: we did not get on that ferry.
- •Even so, we did not accept the offer of a grubby sailor to sleep on his boat and sail back the next morning at 4:30am. Though we were planning on it for about 3 hours.
- •We did not pay less than $220 for a taxi to Avalon where we did not have a bad time eating Mexican food and a white trash bar.
- •We did not miss the ferry out of Avalon the next morning, but we did miss our flights. They were not rescheduled for free.
- •Shameless instagram plug.