FREQUENTLY USED MEDICAL LINGO THAT IS ACTUALLY NOT AT ALL MEDICAL
- •Looks like a peach 🍑def: healthy, doing really well. "Just checked on our asthmatic; she's not wheezing at all, looks like a peach." (Side note: no idea where this one comes from)
- •Ditzel 〽️def: A smudge/mark/density of some sort on imaging, like a chest x-ray or head CT. "The kid with a cough has a ditzel in his right lung, probably pneumonia."
- •Touchy 🙏🏼def: a patient who responds dramatically to small alterations in treatment or environment. "We can wean off his pain medications, but he's real touchy, so I'd go slowly." (Not related to how offended they get by things)
- •Peanut (there is no peanut emoji) 👶🏽def: baby. "I've been taking care of this little peanut since his first check-up." (I guess when they're swaddled, they do look a lot like peanuts?)
- •Sounds junky 💱def: a lung exam marked by sounds that are suspicious for mucous, infection. "He sounds junky as all get out, definitely will need admission."
- •Loopy ➰def: when a belly is so distended you can see the outline of the intestines from the outside, often in premature babies. "The nurse just asked me to see this baby, she thinks he's loopy."
- •Like a champ 🏆def: doing what we want them to. "She is sucking down that pedialyte like a champ."
- •Nugget 🍘def: cute small child. "The nugget is room 12 is going to kill me with that giggle." (I use this in non-medical situations as well, to be fair)