HAPPY NATIONAL HOT DOG DAY
In writing a previous list, I stumbled upon the web page for the National Hot Dog and Sausage Council, www.hot-dog.org. It's hilarious and I'm obsessed with it. It sent me down a hot dog deep dive (hahaha). As today is National Hot Dog Day, I'd like to share these gems with you, entirely gleaned from this amazing website.
- •Los Angeles consumes more hot dogs yearly than any other city (over 39 million)!Rest of the list, in order (listception): New York, Atlanta, Philadelphia, Chicago, Birmingham, Boston, Detroit, Pittsburgh, San Francisco. Unsurprisingly, all of these cities host an MLB team.
- •There exists a "Queen of Wien."Her name is Janet Riley, and she is the President of the National Hot Dog & Sausage Council (and also my hero). Her contact information is easily available on the site, should you want to talk to her.
- •In an extremely scientific study, Americans chose mustard as their favorite condiment, with 71% of respondents reporting that they put it on their hot dogs.52% intelligently top with ketchup, 47% put on onions, 45% add chili, and relish comes in last with 41%.
- •In the same study, 71% of people said it was acceptable to put ketchup on your hot dog, 21% said it was not, and I assume 8% really don't care.I am fairly confident that the entirety of that 21% was at a Cubs baseball game in 2012.
- •Where do you put a smart hot dog?On the honor roll.
- •You can search for restaurants that serve hot dogs using an interactive map.What will they think of next.
- •The first words Mickey Mouse ever said on screen were "hot dogs."All his prior cartoons had been silent.
- •There's a lot of debate about who invented the hot dog AND the hot dog bun.This section of the website was boring to me (though clearly very scandalous), so I skimmed it. Recommended if you're a history buff though!
- •During "Hot Dog Season" (aka Memorial Day to Labor Day, aka summer), Americans eat 7 billion hot dogs.That amounts to 818 hot dogs a second.
- •Is there a particular time of the year when a hot dog needs help?No, they're always in hot water.
- •Buzz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong ate hot dogs on the moon landing mission.I actually didn't believe this one and had to google it.
- •Given retail stats, picnic and sports estimates, and data from vendors, it's estimated that Americans eat 20 billion hot dogs a year.That's about 70 per person.
- •It costs about $300,000 a year to sell hot dogs right outside of The Central Park Zoo.It's the most expensive place to be a hot dog vendor.
- •What did the monk say to the hot dog vendor?Make me one with everything.
- •Hot Dog Etiquette is codified and detailed as per an informative video.These rules are ridiculous. I can't even write them all out (they are very anti wine, ketchup, herbs, and thank you notes, and pro paper plates and napkins, proper condiment placement and order). But the final point is probably the most important: Don't ever think there is a wrong time to serve hot dogs.