WORD SALAD: SOME OF MY FAVORITE FUN-TO-SAY MEDICAL TERMS
A small sampler.
- •Borborygmi: bore-bore-rig-meeThe noises your belly makes when hungry or angry.
- •Duodenum: doo-uh-dee-num OR doo-ah-deh-numThe first part of your intestines after your stomach. @donnie is convinced I made this one up (I didn't).
- •Salpingo: sal-ping-oThings related to the the Fallopian tube. Also a nickname that my Ob-Gyn friend calls me.
- •Logorrhea: log-uh-ree-ahLiterally, verbal diarrhea.
- •Omphalocele: oom-fahl-uh-sealA birth defect where a baby's intestines are outside the abdomen via the belly button. Belongs on @TT's recent list of whacky medical diagnoses.
- •Crepitus: creh-pit-tisCrackly feel or sound, like in joints when getting out of bed.
- •Rhonchi: ron-kaiA rattling sound your lungs make when you're ill.
- •Manubrium: man-oo-bree-umThe upper part of your chest bone, or sternum.
- •Chikungunya: chick-cun-goon-yuhA tropical disease marked by bad fevers.
- •Gubernaculum: goober-nack-yoo-lumA structure in an embryo that, for men, helps guides testes into the scrotum and becomes a ligament that holds them in place; or in women, helps guide the ovaries into place and holds them and the uterus in the pelvis.
- •Kwashiorkor: quash-ee-or-coreProtein-based malnutrition.
- •Apotemnophilia--The compulsion to amputate parts of selfSuggested by @ouizoid
- •Bezoar (Bee-zore): a big old clump of hair and whatnot stuck in the stomach. Also a great band or cat name IMO.Suggested by @AlexandraLouise
- •Pancreata...because pancreases just doesn't sound fancy enoughSuggested by @ohsteph
- •Spinnbarkeit - (German for the ability to be spun) used to describe the stretchiness of fluid like cervical mucus before ovulation. The more spinnbarkeit, the easier it is for sperm to get through. I'll let you google the classic pic of this 😁Suggested by @TT