What We Can Learn About Consent From Cats
Writing this as I lay on the bed with a cat on my butt. Photo at the end.
- •They set the boundaries. Not you.
- •You know not to immediately expect intimacy. And when you earn it it's THE BEST. Every time.
- •They determine when and under which circumstances they want to be pet
- •Just because they let you rub their belly once DOES NOT mean you automatically get to do it again
- •They are constantly evaluating their comfort level with what is happening to them
- •They may come at you aggressively for attention but decide halfway through they want you far far away from them and you oblige or you bleed
- •They don't care if you are a man or a woman, they expect respect
- •The last thing you want to do to a passed out cat is touch their sensitive areas
- •Even sometimes the people they love will cross a line after which both parties reflect and correct their behavior
- •People respect that that's just how cats are
- •They are VERY capable of giving love and attention for those that respect the laws of consent