FAVORITE JASON ISBELL LYRICS
I know this list is niche as fuck but I really love Jason Isbell, and last week's release of his new album "Something More Than Free" has sent me back into the depths of his amazing catalog. This guy can really write a god damned song.
- •I can't get to sleep at night / The parking lot's so loud & bright / The AC hasn't worked in 20 years / Probably never made a single person cold / But I can't say the same for me, I've done it many timesFrom "Alabama Pines"
- •On a lark, on a whim / I said, "there's two kinds of men in this world and you're neither of them." / And his fist cut the smoke / I had an eighth of a second to wonder if he got the jokeFrom "Songs That She Sang in the Shower"
- •She said, "Andy, you crack me up"/ Seagrams in a coffee cup / Sharecropper eyes & her hair almost all gone / When she was drunk she made cancer jokes / Made up her own doctor's notes / Surrounded by her family, I saw that she was dying aloneFrom "Elephant"
- •Who are you if not the one I met / One July night before the town went wet / Jack and coke in your mama's car / You were reading The Bell Jar / Where are you if you're not on your own / Always lonely, never quite alone / Where's the Jesus that you swore you'd find / After running the last lineFrom "The Life You Chose"
- •There's a man who walks beside me / He is who I used to be / And I wonder if she sees him and confuses him with me / And I wonder who she's pinin' for / On nights I'm not around / Could it be the man who did the things I'm living down?From "Live Oak"
- •Well I used to go out in a Mustang / A 302 Mach One in green / 'Til me & your mama made you in the back / And I sold it to buy her a ringFrom "Outfit"
- •If there's one thing I can't take / It's the sound that a woman makes / About 5 seconds after her heart begins to break / That's one thing I can't takeFrom "Codeine"
- •So girl, leave your boots by the bed / We ain't leaving this room / Till someone needs medical help or the magnolias bloom / It's cold in this house and I ain't going out to chop wood / So cover me up and know you're enough to use me for goodFrom "Cover Me Up"
- •And the sand that they call cocaine cost you twice as much as gold / You'd be better off to drink your coffee black / But I swear, the land it listened to the stories that we told / God bless the busted boat that brings us backFrom "New South Wales"
- •And it never did occur to me to leave 'til tonight / And there's no one left to ask if I'm alright / I'll sleep until I'm straight enough to drive, then decide / If there's anything that can't be left behindFrom "Speed Trap Town"
- •You and I were almost nothing / Pray to God that God was bluffing/ 17 ain't old enough to reason with the pain/ How could we expect to stay in love/ When neither knew the meaning of the difference of sacred and profane -- Children of ChildrenSuggested by @donnie