I'M OBSESSED WITH "HOW TO BUILD A GIRL"
Just finished it and I'm having an extreme book hangover
- •If you haven't heard of "How To Build a Girl" it's a fun, funny, feministy novel by British columnist Caitlin Moran
- •It goes into so much important shit
- •Like how growing up poor can shape so much of who you grow to be and the road you take to get there
- •And how women often have to make spaces for themselves in industries that don't welcome or want them
- •And that we don't always get it right. Sometimes we "build ourselves" in self-detrimental ways and have to do some tweaking- and that's okay.
- •I also love the ways you can get really deep into feminist issues within the scope of fiction and have it not feel preachy in the way thinkpieces so often do
- •I also love how emotionally honest a young teen narrator can be
- •Hearing things from the voice of a 14 year old allows for a vulnerability and curiosity we don't often allow from adults
- •Anyway, no spoilers, but GO BUY THIS DAMN BOOK
- •That is all.