Thailand: The Truth
Been in Thailand for 4 days. This is my first time here. This is my culture shock.
- •Durian - spiked fruit delicacy, is awfulThais love it. It's a fruit that tastes like if a banana was made of sweet fish.
- •Everyone has to rush to the toilet
- •They need a Minister of Air ConditioningEvery place here is either amply air conditioned or hot, humid & a little stinky.
- •Food safety doesn't existRaw/cooked meat isn't chilled. Flies on stuff you just put in your mouth & swallow. Doesn't make you sick unless it's spicy. So weird.
- •Every ad has white people in itBlack & trans bloggers would have a field day with media representations here
- •I've seen only one black personIt was a guy & he had a man bun & he was at a jazz club. Seriously intimidated by his cool.
- •Weird snacks at 7/11
- •Sex tourism isn't nearly as rampant as I was made to believeIt's here tho
- •Scooters rule the roadIf you come here, rent one, I did & drove it up & down a mountain in case you questioned my need for speed.
- •Super spicy food isn't an elaborate sick prankPeople here really love it, but how do they digest it?
- •Every massage place isn't "one of those places"Well, every massage place could be one of those places if you pay hard enough.
- •Domestic flights are super cheap$30 from Bangkok to Chiang Mai. 30 dollars!!
- •I've averaged 1.5 massages per dayAn hour foot massage costs $5 & usually features a bit of a head/neck/shoulder massage, free wifi, air conditioning & a place to recline.
- •You can eat the food here & not get sickJust avoid anything spicy or too mysterious
- •Every meal is the new "best I've ever had"Except McDonalds in the airport
- •Dairy Queen here has soft serve green tea ice cream