The Eurovision Song Contest is happening RIGHT NOW. Here's what you need to know:
- •It is a song competition amongst European countries, only some qualify though (27 this year).
- •A lot of the countries that compete aren't even European (eg. Israel, Georgia, Australia).
- •ALL of the songs are shit. Even the winning song would not crack the top 100 in any Western country.
- •People from the competing countries can vote, and they vote in blocs. (Eastern European countries all vote for each other, Mediterranean for each other, Commonwealth for each other).
- •The songs get real political. For example, Armenia had a song about Turkey denying their genocide (originally called "Don't Deny" but had to be changed to "Face the Shadow")
- •For Western countries, Eurovision is a hilarious freak show that is just a funny thing to watch each year. For Eastern countries, it is a genuine opportunity to bring forward the best music that country has to offer.
- •All countries can vote, even if you don't qualify for he televised final competition.
- •It's incredible