Things the British Elections 🇬🇧 Do Better Than the American Ones 🇺🇸
Tomorrow is the UK's General Election and it looks like it's going to be a clusterfuck. Here's what makes it so fun:
- 1.Multiple parties ❤️💙💛💜💚No more bilateral elections, you've got about 5-7 major parties who have a serious presence in the elections. The parties tend to be less broad and fit your beliefs better.
- 2.All-nighter results 🌚The results come in at 3 or 4 in the morning, making them an all day AND all night event
- 3.Coalition building 👬👭👫Last year, and most likely this year, no party had a clear majority. Which means that multiple parties have to team up to get the numbers to have 50% of the seats. This can take days, weeks, or ultimately no agreement may be reached triggering another election.
- 4.Smaller country = more accessible politicians 👋🏻Many of my friends have met David Cameron (current Conservative Prime Minister) and Ed Miliband (Labour Party leader) on multiple occasions. Celebs like JK Rowling and Eddie Izzard are also knocking about to meet with voters of the parties they're supporting.
- 5.Coverage 📺Imagine if Comedy Central's coverage of the results were on one of the major networks and included the rest of the country's A-list comedians. This is happens here, and it's wonderful.