THINGS MY FAMILY MEMBERS HAVE SAID TO ME
Resilience is a virtue, I guess.
- •"You look like you've gained weight. I know you're broke and I don't want you to have to buy bigger clothes."-- Dad
- •"OH YEAH GREAT SO LETS JUST HAVE ANARCHY! TOTAL ANARCHY!"-- Dad, in response to telling him I had registered as a Democrat
- •"When did you get smart? You've always been a pretty girl."-- Grandmother, on the day of my college graduation where I received honors/awards/distinction in Mathematics
- •"Why? Boys don't like that."-- Dad, when I told him I wanted to study physics
- •"That's nice honey. But do you have a boyfriend? I'd like to go to a wedding before I die."-- Grandmother, last Thanksgiving, after telling her about a recent promotion I'd received
- •"He seems very nice, Sarah. He also clearly likes to eat -- very soft man."-- Dad, describing my college boyfriend
- •"Sarah don't say that!"-- Mom, in response to my 12 year old self saying I wanted to marry Deion Sanders. She was being racist, because I am white and he is black and apparently that means we shouldn't get married. She's become more enlightened since then, thankfully.