5 THINGS I ALWAYS HAVE ON MY DESK
Workspace decor is important.
- •This Montblanc pen.In 1998, I left my job waiting tables at The Flying Burrito to begin teaching creative writing at UNC. My co-workers took up a collection to buy me this. The idea was Lara Tucker's: she was a poet and understood how much it would mean to me. She has since passed away.
- •My mom's old piggy bank.For all of my childhood, this sat in the kitchen, right by the sink. Whenever I look at it, I think of my mom cooking dinner on weeknights with All Things Considered playing in the background.
- •My aunt Bobby's baby cup.I didn't realize until after she passed away that her name was actually Caroline, not Barbara. Not sure why she changed it. It seems awful I didn't know this crucial fact.
- •Shells collected from beach in Emerald Isle, NC.So it always feels a little like summer in one of my favorite places.
- •Inspirational Broad City art made by my babysitter Hannah.She knew I was having trouble writing. I keep it taped to my monitor.
- •More Bubble Gum and Root Beer dumdums than I could ever possibly eat.They are big part of my latest book, and I love that people bring them to my events. Also when they have them at my bank it feels like a good sign.