A WEEK AGO TODAY I WENT TO THE SHORTY AWARDS!
It was crazy. In a good way!
- •The Shortys are social media awards. I was nominated for best writer (on social media, not altogether in the world. As if!).I was up against Elizabeth Gilbert and JK Rowling, among others. I did not have my hopes up for a win.
- •I invited my friend @jennyhan to be my date because I knew she'd insist we do it up big.We did. Hair and makeup at the hotel, red carpet walk, the after party. I am so lame would have skipped, well, all three?
- •We went to a VIP cocktail hour first and stood in line for ages for red carpet.Personalities there included: Al Roker, two women from Orange is the New Black (one the warden, one a prisoner who worked with Red in kitchen) Jiff the Pom Dog, and a pot smoking senior named Baddie Winkle.
- •I had not worn so much makeup since I was on Good Morning America, and that was because television. Facetimed my husband, who was taken aback, to say the least.I did kind of like it. But wondered how Real Housewives do it, like, ALL the time?
- •Also, I totally pressured Jenny into getting me an introduction to Christian Siriano, because she Knows People.He was lovely. Too bad I look like a bad drag queen in this picture.
- •These were only a few of the people there. It was a bit overwhelming.Other big name: DJ Khaled. I took a picture of the back of his head, because I am a giant nerd.
- •Then the show began. The guy responsible for Pizza Rat won best GIF.After running down aisle yelling, "Pizza Rat! Pizza rat!" he gave a surprisingly uplifting and emotional speech about following your dreams.
- •Then it was my turn. As it turned out, insanely, I tied!Never again will I see these two names like this together. Hence, the picture.
- •I made a quick speech, total blur. Backstage they said they didn't have my award so they would ship it to me.They DID give me a box for it, which I carried around all night like it WAS an award because, again, I am a total nerd.
- •After the awards, we went to the after party.I was up SO late past my bedtime and exhausted, but it was fun to see the revelry. I ended up in long convo with nice couple outside about how Snapchat is like having your own reality show and I should not fear it. (I still kind of do.)
- •Went to bed at 1:30 in the morning. I'm still paying for it.Totally worth it, though.