THINGS PEOPLE HAVE SAID TO ME SINCE I PUBLISHED MY FIRST YA NOVEL
Which was in 1996.
- •"Is it about a girl getting her period?"Um, no. Would you want to read 300 pages only about that?
- •"Are there pictures? Did you draw them?"No, and therefore, no.
- •"Really? Where is your publisher located?"I think this is because I live in NC, was 26 when published first book, and people assumed I was running off copies on my back porch.
- •"You know what you should add to your books? A vampire!"We can't all write Twilight.
- •"I used to love your books!"This is more recent, and totally understandable. But it still makes me feel ancient.
- •"Do you know John Green?"I do, and he's lovely.
- •"When are you going to write something I'd want to read?"Um.
- •"Why don't you make a movie of your books?"I actually had a movie, in 2003, starring Mandy Moore. Would love another, but sadly it is not only up to me.
- •"How do you keep up with what teens are thinking and feeling?"I don't try to. I just know I was miserable in high school, and you can write a lot about that. Apparently.