Things That Will Inevitably Happen At Holiday Party I Am Hosting This Evening
I can always be counted upon, and so can my events.
- •I will worry I don't have enough food.Which is why I always keep shopping and adding the menu.
- •I will have too much food.Appetizers for breakfast for DAYS, you guys.
- •Whatever fancy new finger food I decide to slave over will be mostly ignored in favor of the pigs in a blanket.This year, my money is on the baked brie with brown sugar and almonds to be the loser. We'll see.
- •People will ask me what that secret ingredient is that you can taste but not name in my signature chocolate chip cookies.Fine, I'll tell you. It's Grape Nuts. You're welcome.
- •I will worry over playlist, picking songs oh so carefully, and it will be so noisy nobody will hear them.Or my husband will mutiny and put on his music, which also no one will hear.
- •Actual dinner, planned for later, will be skipped because we are all too full from pigs in a blanket, meatballs, spanakopita, brie, guac and chips and Fritos.See what I mean about too much food?
- •I'll pour a glass of wine early because I am nervous and drink it too fast.WHEEEEEE!
- •My kid will decide to undertake some gigantic, complicated art project seconds before everyone arrives when my house is finally neat and clean.And it WILL involve glitter.
- •One or both of my dogs will eat someone's plate of food with no shame at all.So embarrassing.
- •In the blur of noise and food and music you can't hear, with kids running around, I'll be reminded how much I love my friends and how lucky I am to have them in my life.I'm such a sap.
- •By end of night, when I am cleaning up, I will be blasting One Direction and Miley Cyrus.Double the chances if I have more than two glasses of wine. (And you know I will.)
- •This time tomorrow, I'll be sad it's over.Every single time. Happy holidays, everyone.