Today At Wal Mart
- •My kid is saving up for a Nintendo 3Ds. We put her playhouse on Craigslist, she's doing chores, won Superbowl pool. Only a bit of $ to go.
- •Everywhere we have gone to look at them, though, they've been sold out. Even online no one has them except 3rd party dealers, big markup.
- •Today we went to Best Buy to look, all gone. Then we walked over to Wal Mart. There was ONE left in the case. First we'd seen in flesh.So to speak. It's not a living thing, although she might disagree?
- •We went into quick huddle for calculations. Even with her $, a bit to go. But Valentine's this week. And Daddy needed big chores today.So I told her I'd make up the difference and she could pay me back via the chores ahead and future allowances. (Like, forever, basically.)
- •She was SO EXCITED. The employee got it out of the case and we went to register. My kid kept telling me she was going to work really hard.I said, "Yes, you will." She said, "I'll feed the dogs and take up the trash and do anything you want." I said, "Yes, you will."
- •A man was buying something ahead of us in line and he turned to smile at her. "You're going to work hard?" She nodded. "Good for you.""You listen to your Mama?" he said. She said yes. He took $10 from his pocket and handed it to her. "Then you take this, and keep it up."
- •I was like, "Oh, no, you don't have to do that!" He waved me off. Told her he listened to HIS mom and dad and worked hard, it's important.She shook his hand and thanked him. I shook his hand. Then he went on his way. I still can't stop thinking about it.
- •Anyway. She's playing the game now, after a full afternoon of hauling cardboard to the recycling with husband. Happy as can be.These days, I feel like I notice good things much more, appreciate them, too. Or try to, anyway. What else can you do?