MUSIC THAT FEMALE MOVIE CHARACTERS LIKE TO SHOW THEY ARE "NOT LIKE OTHER GIRLS"
How does the guy know if she is the girl for him? If she likes some cool, "obscure" music of course! Here's a lesson in my favorite kind of lazy character development in movies. (To be clear, I love many of these movies and these characters, but would love to see a guy fall for a girl who's just really into Adele once in a while)
- •The Shins "Garden State"Zach Braff falls head over heels for Natalie Portman after she lends him an earphone and plays The Shins
- •The Smiths "(500) Days of Summer"When Zooey Deschanel tells JGL she likes The Smiths, he immediately becomes smitten and obsessed with her. One great thing about this movie is that with maturity you realize the true message is that JGL is kind of a fuckboy
- •The Stooges, Patti Smith, and The Runaways "Juno"Juno's cool taste in music leads to the creepy, creepy man who's planning on adopting her baby getting a thing for her! What a winner
- •Letters to Cleo "10 Things I Hate About You"Kat Stratford is not like other girls because she likes Thai food, feminist prose, and angry girl music of the indie rock persuasion. Kat Stratford also is super cool honestly
- •Where's Fluffy? "Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist"Nick spends the whole movie searching for this mysterious indie band with a girl he just met and falls in love with her in one night
- •The Replacements "Scott Pilgrim vs. The World"Michael Cera once again falls in love immediately and decides it's super worth it to fight off seven guys for cool girl Ramona because she is just so special and ~different~
- •Iron & Wine "Twilight"Bella Swan wears Converse to prom and dances to "Flightless Bird, American Mouth" because she's not some regular Anna Kendrick type who falls in love with mere mortals
- •Cocteau Twins "Perks of Being a Wallflower"Sam's entire appeal in this movie is her taste in music and all things non mainstream, and she cites "Pearly Dewdrops' Drops" as her favorite song. Charlie listens and it changes his life obviously
- •Stillwater "Almost Famous"Penny Lane's whole identity is shaped around following around this band and Patrick Fugit becomes enamored with her as a result
- •The Ramones "Freaky Friday"Chad Michael Murray falls for Lindsay Lohan in Jamie Lee Curtis' body because she loves the Ramones and hates the White Stripes (get a bassist!) She also loves the cover of "...Baby One More Time" by Bowling for Soup. A true cool girl
- •Elvis Costello "John Tucker Must Die"In a role reversal, Brittany Snow realizes John Tucker might not be as bad as she thought when she finds an Elvis Costello CD in his car
- •David Guetta "Pitch Perfect"Brittany Snow once again proves her coolness by singing along to "Titanium" in the shower with Anna Kendrick, and Anna Kendrick is somehow impressed that she knows such a cool and obscure artist like David Guetta? This one makes no sense
- •Ladysmith Black Mambazo "Mean Girls"Lindsay Lohan proves that she's just becoming another Mean Girl when she prioritizes partying over a Ladysmith Black Mambazo concert!!!!