FAVORITE PABLO NERUDA ODES (FOOD RELATED)
A must for your collection: All The Odes by Pablo Neruda
- •Ode To The LemonSo, when your hand | grasps the hemisphere | of the cut | lemon above your plate | you spill | a universe of gold, | a goblet yellow | with miracles
- •Ode To BreadYou line up | on the baker's | powdered trays | like silverware or plates | or pieces of paper, | and suddenly | life washes | over you, | there's the joining of seed | and fire, | and you're growing, growing | all at once | like | hips, mouths, breasts, | mounds of earth, | or people's lives.
- •Ode To The AppleI want | a city, | a republic, | a Mississippi River | of apples, | and on its shores | I want to see | the entire | population | of the world | united, reunited, | in the simplest act on earth: | biting an apple.
- •Ode To French FriesThe world's | joy | sputtering | in boiling | oil: | potatoes | about to be fried | enter | the skillet | like the snowy | wings | of a morning swan
- •Ode To The WatermelonWater coffer, | placid fruit | queen | warehouse | of depth, | earthly moon!
- •Ode To The OrangeOrange, | the world was made | in your likeness | and image: | the sun was made round, surrounded | by peels of flame, | and night strewed its engine and its path | with your blossoms.
- •Ode To WineOh you, jug of wine, in the desert | with the luscious woman I love, | said the old poet. | Let the wine pitcher | add its kiss to the kiss of love.
- •Ode To The OnionFairy godmother | wrapped | in fancy paper, | you rise from the soil, | eternal, intact, as pure | as a celestial seed, | and when the kitchen knife | cuts you | the only painless tear | is shed: | you made us weep without suffering.