HOW TO MAKE MY BOSS THINK I CARE ABOUT HIS PAINFULLY MUNDANE STORY
a workplace skill-- it's transferable!
- •fake laughterhaha! can I go back to my desk now?
- •repeat the last thing he saidhim: "and it was great!" me: "it sounds great."
- •a lot of noddinguh huh. yep. (what should I get for lunch?) uh huh. wow. uh huh.
- •the right amount of eye contactnot too much, or else he may never stop talking
- •a well-placed, carefully-constructed question"where is so-and-so from?" (it's a one-word answer...right?)
- •unquestioning agreementexactly. so true. you're right. (not trying to extend this into a debate)
- •change the subjectpreferably to something work-related. hello? not here to hang