Games to Play with Clients, Ranked
Therapy with kids involves play. Playing is how kids communicate and build skills. Any other counselors out there have favorite games to play with kids?
- 1.The Ungame"The game with a thousand answers to every questions." This gets kids talking and they seem to legit love it!
- 2.Feelings JengaFor practice talking about feelings. Also a great rapport-builder. Make your own set with whatever feelings words/questions you want!
- 3.Playing catch/basketballNothing helps a kid relax like tossing a ball outdoors
- 4.MancalaI legit just love this game. It's simple but requires focus and thinking ahead, which are good skills for most of my clients to practice.
- 5.Checkers/Chess (depending on age)Like mancala, both require impulse control, thinking before you act, patience. As does LIFE. 🤓
- 6.Story cubesThese can be really fun and lead to interesting conversations. There are various sets with different themes.
- 7.Connect FourThe best is when I find a kid who can actually beat me. Then it's ON. It's a little repetitive , obviously. Good if you don't have a lot of time.
- 8.Puzzles🎶let's work together!🎶
- 9.MemoryBoring as heck, let's be real. Little kids love it.
- 10.All the other games. ALL OF THEM.
- 11.UnoI hate you, UNO. Playing with two people is the worst. If I never have to play uno again I'll be thrilled.