How to Survive Graduate School
Does graduating make me an expert on this?
- •Self care is EVERYTHINGMake time for you. Especially if you are in a helping profession. You can't help others if your own cup is empty! So eat well, sleep enough, and make yourself exercise at least a little.
- •Work smart not hard.Prioritize, manage your time, don't sweat the small stuff. Sometimes, finished is better than perfect.
- •Call your mother!! (Or father, grandma, auntie, BFF, sister, etc)Seriously, stay in touch with family. They will keep you grounded, help you pull your head out of the clouds of academia.
- •Get to (really) know at least one professor every semester.These relationships will be invaluable in the long run.
- •Adopt a furry friend.Really. For so many reasons. They make you get up in the morning. They lie on your belly and purr. They don't care about your GPA.
- •Accept group projects and learn to maximize their usefulness.Collaboration actually can save time when done right!
- •Don't neglect the other areas of your life.School isn't everything. Have fun. Do creative things. Get outdoors and breathe fresh air. Cultivate friendships.
- •Indulge the occasional vice. You deserve it.A bottle of wine. A box of chocolate. An entire baguette with fancy cheese. A season of something on Netflix.