The Best of Athens, Georgia
People who A) follow me and B) are interested in this town are, I imagine, few and far between. But here goes.
- •PIZZA: JohnnysNew York style. $1 slice Mondays.
- •SPECIAL OCCASION RESTAURANT: 5&10Brainchild of celebrity cook Hugh Acheson. Located in a gorgeous house. Wide-ranging menu including surf, turf, and vegetarian. Killer desserts.
- •DOUGHNUTS/PASTRIES: Ike and JaneAdorable shop. Friendliest baristas. Creative doughnuts. Many gluten free cupcakes, cookies, bars.
- •PHO: Just Pho...and MoreAmazing pho. Amazing BBQ pork fresh spring rolls. Best bang for your buck as far as takeout goes.
- •YOGA STUDIO: Rubber SoulTiny, independent studio. Class fees are donation based. Totally rad vibe.
- •ART SUPPLIES: Kristen Ashley Artist ShopPerfectly curated array of top notch supplies. Variety of fun art classes for the masses. Local artists work on display.
- •VEGETABLE STAND: Opa Robby'sA beautiful farm stand owned by the sweetest, most personable family. A true mom and pop experience. Lots of local produce, meat and seafood. Baked goods. Locally made gifts.
- •CHEESECAKE: Last Resort GrilleWait in line for the dinner, stay forever for the cheesecake because it will enslave you with its creamy perfection.
- •WAY TO AVOID UGA GAME DAY: Stay HomeBe a recluse for the weekend. A hermit. Better yet, leave town.
- •DAY TRIP/DAY DATE WITH BAE: Talullah Falls and Clayton Georgia1. Get a workout climbing down and back up a million stairs at the falls. 2. Get your antiquing on at Georgia Mountain [flea] Market 3. Eat like kings and queens at the Red Barn Cafe, at Tiger Mountain Vineyards.
- •Update: RIP Preserve I miss you so much!!!TINY RESTAURANT: Preserve AthensAdorable, eclectic vibe. Very eclectic food. Southern/Asian fusion perhaps. Five tables. This location is now the Fish Shack, which is damn delicious!!!
- •MOVIE THEATER: CinéIndie and art films, with the occasional blockbuster. Documentary screenings, sometimes benefitting local non-profits. Delish refreshments.
- •REASON TO GET UP ON SATURDAY: Athens Farmers MarketLocal produce, flowers, meat, baked goods. Local artisans making beautiful thinks. Food trucks. Live music. Cooking demos. Etc.
- •TACOS: Camino Real (on North Ave)Venture Inside this Mexican grocery store and you'll discover the holy grail of Athens tacos—there's a restaurant inside!! Best tacos al pastor I've had in Athens
- •RESTAURANT/BAR WITH AMAZING FOOD AND A TOWNIE/FAMILY VIBE: Hi-Lo (in Normaltown)AMAZING shabby-chic pub food with a local/vegetarian/German/Gourmet twist. Great sandwiches. Salads. Soups. Brat. Hot dogs. Kale. Brunch. Awesome drinks too. Family friendly. Townie friendly. Super chill.
- •PLACE TO STUDY/READ A BOOK/BRING YOUR PARENTS WHEN THEY VISIT: Botanical GardenThere's a great indoor space with a cafe and tropical plants, for studying and snacking. The grounds are beautiful and include some paths through the woods. No dogs allowed though