HOW I CAME TO BE IN THE MIDDLE OF A UNITED NATIONS FRAUD BUST
Not as cool as it sounds.
- •Once upon a time I decided to sign up to be a volunteer social media person for the United Nations Association of Atlanta.
- •United Nations Associations exist in places around the world to connect individuals to UN activities on a smaller level.
- •It's very low key, I just schedule twitter and Facebook posts once a week and then monitor the accounts. I've done it for a little over a year now and have been thinking about quitting because I have a lot on my plate, and it isn't that exciting to me anymore.
- •BUT this morning I woke up to messages on the Facebook account from two different women asking me to confirm if this one man works for the United Nations in Atlanta.
- •The answer was 100% no because 1. It's a volunteer run org and 2. It's not the real UN, but rather a related org that does education about the real UN.
- •Anyway, I get into a convo with these ladies who live in Latvia and somewhere else in Europe and they sent me all the documents he sent them. He somehow managed to acquire/forge customs documents from Kenya, purchase orders, flight tickets, etc. TONS of stuff.
- •And for the most part the stuff looks really legit. There are a few red flags like for example one of the documents has a "stamp" that says "CERTIFIED TRUE COPY" but m governments are weird and that could be a real thing.
- •I mean READ THIS:
- •He also created a website that is literally screenshots of a real UN site, but has an extra page with bios of himself and a few others. It's obviously fake once you read them, because the grammar and spelling are pretty bad, but at a quick glance it could be legit.
- •How does one report a person like that?! I reported his Facebook account as fake, but taking down websites seems like a more complex thing?
- •And if you get rid of one they can just make a new identity and a new website and steal from more people!
- •It's easy to be like "Wow don't send money to strangers, duh" but also people shouldn't be taking advantage of people and using charitable organizations to do so urghhhh.
- •So yeah anyway that's how I became involved in a UN fraud bust and there is nothing I can do about this awful guy the end.