THINGS A YALE FRESHMAN SAID TO ME ON A PLANE
The youth scares me. He's 20 and looks like a Winklevoss twin. His Instagram byline says "conceive believe achieve" followed by these emojis 🐳🐸🎫🎿🎶
- •"Are podcasts still in?"
- •"I'm starting a hedge fund. Just a small one. Focusing on clean energy. With global warming, we feel things like windmills will be important."
- •"I'm creating a TED for Millenials. 18-22. Elon Musk is going to be one of the mentors. This way when we are solving the world's problems we can still be a pack."
- •"I used to blog for HuffPost. We live next door to Arianna."
- •"I write a little bit for The Wall Street Journal. They're keeping journalism alive (fist pump)!"I Googled him and he has written 9 articles on WSJ.
- •"Everyone at Yale snaps instead of claps. It's just people snapping or the football team."
- •"I went to Harvard Westlake until 9th grade and then ski raced and did some other things."
- •"I have a friend at Yale who was falsely incarcerated on drug charges at 15. She studied for the SAT in prison. We have lots of people like that at Yale."
- •"What do you think about Buzzfeed?"
- •"LA didn't prepare me for college. Everything is different. Social cues and stuff."
- •His business card:
- •He was on the Wall Street Journal's panel of business experts but made sure to tell me "I'm not an expert" -- in case I wasn't sure.This was three years ago. He was 17 years old.
- •His brother is in the CIA but he doesn't know where.
- •"Reinvention is all the rage these days. To get into an ivy you need to have been shot and reinvented yourself by 18. The admissions department pre-screens for that."
- •His drink of choice is a Shirley Temple. With vodka.
- •"I have 4,000 Facebook friends and I know pretty much every top young person on the globe -- I have to because I'm creating that group for the most elite Millenials."