Things They Tell You When You're Young and Female
And things I should remind myself to think or say when I hear 'em.
- •You can't trust menIt's unrealistic to be untrusting of men. I have a father. I have a brother. I have a boyfriend. I have male friends. And over half of the people at the company I work for are men. I need to be able to trust men--and I need men to be able to trust me. This is a non-issue.
- •Don't go anywhere aloneThis is also unrealistic. I will not live my life under constant watch. Besides, to quiet of being alone gives me time to hear myself think. This is healthy. This feels right. Being alone is necessary.
- •People won't take you seriouslySometimes I need to remind myself that people will respect you if you're respectable. And if they don't--fuck them. They're not worth your time.
- •One day you'll understandOr you can explain to me now, so I don't have to wait for "one day" to come around.
- •You'll understand when you have kidsIf you want me to understand here, now, without kids, you're going to have to expound on your feelings.
- •Won't you get hurt?It's okay to get hurt if the potential gain outweighs the potential pain.
- •Aren't you scared?Probably. But I don't want that to be the reason I didn't try.
- •Is it safe?Safe compared to what? Doing nothing? See also, "Won't you get hurt?"
- •Just give it timeIf time is all it takes, walk away. Don't spin your wheels. But only walk away if nothing can be done to expedite the process.
- •Be carefulDon't do anything so dumb you'll lose your life. Otherwise, rock and roll. I can do this.