Life with Hearing Aids: Month 1
for ease of understanding, they're called CROS. i have 0% hearing in my left ear and 100% in my right so the hearing aids send sounds from my left into my right ear
- •still confused by inability to triangulatei can't provide the third point of the localization triangle, so i can't tell where anything is coming from. is there traffic? is a bike behind me on the path? where is that strange beeping coming from? is that the dishwasher or a flood?
- •also can't tell where people who call my name physically are in relation to mewhen someone says "hey katie" i generally make eye contact with 3-5 different (confused) people before finding the one i know
- •people on my left sound vaguely electronicit's like they're talking into one of those happy meal microphones bc they're still a regular volume but suddenly have this robotic undertone
- •the batteries aren't broken - they just don't work in really loud placesif i suddenly realize i can't hear people talking, it's 100% of the time bc I'm in a dining hall
- •itchy!it's weird having tiny rubber nubs sticking down your ear canal all the time
- •listen to Nine in the Afternoon with just the right earbudimagine how surprised I was when this came on my running playlist yesterday