Making of Straight Outta Gotham
Per request, here's some salacious tidbits about the making of Straight Outta Gotham, my music video mash-up of NWA and Batman. Check it out here: http://youtu.be/MkWJb8GoLwo
- •I did not have sex with any of the members of the cast. YET.
- •We filmed for 1.5 days in July in Atlanta. Tip: don't film outside in July in Atlanta.
- •When we were filming all the villains on the sidewalk at the end of Day 1, a dad and his kid stopped us and asked to get a photo. I wish I could have a copy of that photo.
- •When we were filming Joker and Harley by the wall with the spiral graffiti, we were set upon by approx 540,000 mosquitoes.
- •The shot of the coffee cup falling off the back of the Batmobile is a direct reference to the original Straight Outta Compton video.
- •Riddler snapped his cane in half by accident on the second take. We had to tape it up. That cane was a piece of shit.
- •The villains' costumes, minus the vests and the Joker's shoes, were purchased at a thrift store for about $100. Batman and Robin's costumes were considerably more expensive, but were still a bargain. Tip: buy Halloween costumes in June.
- •I couldn't sleep after the first day of shooting (too much adrenaline) so I came up with the idea of spray-painting "HA" across the steel bin that appears in the video. I did this at about midnight in my driveway.
- •Bane's mask cost $35 on Amazon.
- •The Dodge Viper in the video belongs to my co-producer's father-in-law. That car's engine is 690 hp and sounds like a fucking jet plane, no exaggeration. I was in the back of the van when Joker pulls alongside it, and the Viper's engine actually made the walls of the van vibrate.
- •Everyone who worked on the video volunteered their time and talent. I could not have done it without them.
- •My out-of-pocket expenses totaled about $5k.
- •I did not make the video to monetize it. I made it to establish myself as a writer/director and to hopefully escape the corporate nightmare of my day job.
- •Batman is probably my favorite superhero. But I also love Captain America. Regardless, I think there are too many comic book movies.
- •I have a super brief cameo in the video. Can you find me??