MOM'S WALK OF THE HOLLYWOOD WALK OF FAME
My mom loves being a tourist almost as much as she loves taking photos. I told her we'd get up early and walk the entire Hollywood Walk of Fame (something like 36 blocks) and could each take 10 photos of our favorites as we went (no doubling back, no deleting). Here's our Top Tens.
- 1.Bruce LeeMoms pick. Fairly predictable out the gate.
- 2.Alfred HitchcockMoms pick. We're still on the first block and she's down to 8 slots. I reminded her there's still 3 miles and like 2000 stars to go.
- 3.The BeatlesMoms pick. When we got to the Capitol Records building, I let her take pictures of the individual stars for George, John, Paul, and Ringo without penalty.
- 4.Elvis PresleyMoms pick. Her one true love.
- 5.Marilyn MonroeMoms pick.
- 6.John FogertyMoms pick. A bit of a dark horse.
- 7.Grace KellyMoms pick.
- 8.Anthony HopkinsMoms pick. This was on the home stretch - I couldn't figure out who she was describing, and she had just said "he was in a movie with a bag over his head.."
- 9.Vivian LeighMoms pick + SC pick. One of the few actors I've paid attention to as much as an adult as I did a child.
- 10.Marlon BrandoMoms pick + SC pick.
- 11.Robin WilliamsSC pick. As influential an entertainer on me as anyone.
- 12.Ray BradburySC pick. "Zen in the Art of Writing" is required reading.
- 13.Ray CharlesSC pick. The song itself aside, he reminds me of home in Georgia in all the most magical ways.
- 14.James DeanSC pick.
- 15.Dean MartinSC pick. Personal hero.
- 16.James BrownSC pick. Snothinwrong. Get up offa that thing.
- 17.Cary GrantSC pick. Possibly the only guy more charming than James Bond. Coincidentally, I was holding out on my 10th photo for Sean Connery, who doesn't have a star.