My Favorite July 4ths
- •My cross-country roadtrip plans cancelled, I was unexpectedly home for the 4th. My grandmom was in town, though, and we took my dad's boat out to the Sound in between Jekyll and St. Simon's Islands to watch fireworks. I remember looking at my grandmom on that boat ride, sunset behind her, cocktail in hand, looking beautiful as ever.1999, St. Simon's Island, GA
- •Summer roadtrip following the Dave Matthews Band/Ben Harper tour: Cois and I had dinner at a Macaroni Grill before driving to the top of a parking deck to watch fireworks across the city.2000, Detroit, MI.
- •Watching THE POWERPUFF GIRLS MOVIE with Cois and girlfriend at a movie theater in a north Atlanta suburb.2002, Lilburn, GA.
- •Watching the Hot Dog Eating Contest in Coney Island before a backyard barbecue with sis in Queens before watching the Macy's Fireworks Show on a rooftop in Dumbo before looking at my phone and seeing that one of my favorite directors in the world emailed me back saying he'd read the DIVING NORMAL script.2011, New York City, NY.
- •Driving to DRH's house for a barbecue, on the phone interviewing Kristjan Thor, who we'd later hire to direct DIVING NORMAL. I also remember lots of Frank Ocean - "Pyramids" had dropped, and the night before, he'd written that legendary letter on tumblr before the "Bad Religion" performance on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon.2012, Los Angeles, CA.
- •Watching the Grateful Dead's Fare Thee Well shows with my entire family, our first family vacation in decades.2015, Chicago, IL.