Favorite Old School Restaurants in LA
All this news about Clifton's reopening had me thinking about our favorite old school places to eat in LA. @LAmag- would love to see a list by you guys about this! -Makoto
- •Dal RaeWhere they still make Caesar salads at your table. And they have a super old school menu which includes banana flambé and cherries jubilee. ALSO SHOUTOUT FOR BEING IN PICO RIVERA!
- •Clearmans Northwoods InnOne of my favorite restaurants in LA. Multiple locations but the one off the 5 is the best. It's like Frontierland meets Claim Jumper in a brothel. Also. Their oversized menus are in the shape of giant kettles. And they have "cheesy butter" and serve two salads (blue cheese and a vinegary cabbage) with each entree.
- •Pacific Dining CarI've only gone during fancy client meetings a few times, but love it. Also went once at an ungodly hour while at grad school because I wanted some fancy meal and ITS OPEN 24 HOURS A DAY!
- •J TranisJust discovered this place when we moved to San Pedro. So much charm. So local. Lots of politicos and union heavies meet up here. Plus. Who doesn't love indoor neon signs.
- •The PrinceI think a ton of episodes of Mad Men were filmed here but I just remember it as the Korean restaurant in the old school interiors. With bell service.
- •HMS bountySurprisingly great food and chill vibes for being in such a cool part of K town. My mom remembers it as the place across from where Bobby Kennedy was shot. I remember it as the first bar I went to when I was way underage.
- •The Proud BirdKnown for their brunches but I've only been to banquets here! Almost closed a few years ago but people rallied to keep it alive. Also. It's a plane museum so there's that.
- •Special commendation award to The Buggywhip, which no longer existsGreen goddess dressing! The meanest old lady waitresses! RIP airport adjacent 405 convenient restaurant
- •Damon'sA tiki themed steak house in Glendale where they mix your salad at the table and the walls are lined with palm fronds! I went there with my gramma in the 80s!Suggested by @laure
- •Tam O Shanter on Los Feliz. Prime rib is fine. It's been there for 100 years!Suggested by @sharris
- •Du-Par'sApple pie there is the best. Check out City Scholar @chrisnicholsla list of old favorites--he knows them all.Suggested by @LAmag
- •The TallyrandSuggested by @shirleykurata
- •The smokehouseSuggested by @shirleykurata