Things I Want to Be Better About as a Small Business Owner / Designer in 2016
2015 is wrapping up like WTF. These aren't resolutions but things I want to be aware of as we move into 2016 - Makoto
- •Make time to design and sketchThere are weeks and sometimes MONTHS in which I never get around to sketching new ideas or having fun designing random things. Instead I'm in a quick books/ email/ correspondence hole. I need to make time for the fun stuff!
- •Get a real grip on costs, profits, etcFor the amount of time I'm in the quick books hole, you'd think I'd have a better idea of all of this stuff, but it's scary to really look at your numbers and figure out what's working and what's not. 2016 is going to be full of REAL TALK about how thing looks, which products work, and where we're spending money that doesn't make sense.
- •Learn a new softwareBeen pretty low tech and sticking to the tools I learned in school and software that I'm super comfortable with. Would love to learn some crazy new way to create design drawings in some new software I know nothing about
- •Don't sweat the small stuffLike things that nobody will notice. There's a difference between paying attention to the details and being paralyzed by everything needing to be a certain way. Don't fall into the vortex.
- •But sweat the things you loveLike the sketching and designing thing. Super important. Worth sweating over.
- •Meet more people in random industries outside of design and architectureLIKE MEETING SOME OF YOU LISTAPP PEOPLE IRL!!!
- •Make more listsSuper slacked on lists over the last two months. Booooo!