What Not to Expect When You Graduate From Architecture School
Monday thoughts. Things I wish people told to me when I graduated from architecture school. -Makoto
- •That everyone cares about designThey don't. It doesn't mean they don't like you or what you do. It just means that design isn't a priority for them. This is about 99% of all Americans.
- •Six figure job offersDream on, dreamers!
- •Five figure job offersI kid. Sort of.
- •A social lifeYou just shut out your friends and family for years while you pulled all nighters to detail that corner that nobody noticed. You were a shitty friend. It will take time to rebuild those relationships.
- •That people give a shit about how Pre-Raphaelite painters and binary code influenced the window and door schedules of the suburban gated community you're working onThey don't.
- •Unlimited design development timeRemember how before thesis, you had a thesis prep course where you got to explore a gamut of ideas for an entire semester? Well, that still happens, but pretend your semester is about 2 weeks long.
- •That everything should be designedThere is design in everything, but that doesn't mean everything has to be designed. You'll figure this one out as you get older.