Cocktails You Should Know How to Make by Heart
When you want to look classy. My versions herein. Remember to chill your glasses.
- •Manhattan3-4 parts bourbon, rye or brandy to 1 part sweet vermouth, stirred, up, garnished with a cherry. I prefer bourbon with Carpano Antica and marasca cherries.
- •Martini4-5 parts gin to 1 part vermouth, stirred, up, garnished with olives. Variation: vodka martini uses vodka instead of gin and has lemon twist garnish. Dirty martini has a splash of olive brine. Nothing else is a martini. The end.
- •Margarita2 oz. Tequila, 1 oz. lime juice, 1/2 oz. simple syrup, on the rocks, salted rim glass, float of Cointreau.
- •Sidecar2 oz. brandy (pref. Cognac), 3/4 oz. lemon juice, 3/4 oz. Cointreau, shaken, up, sugared rim.
- •Old Fashioned2 oz. rye, 1 sugar cube, 3 dashes Angostura bitters. Muddle the rye and sugar, add ice and bitters.
- •Negroni1 oz. each gin, Campari and sweet vermouth, on the rocks or up, garnish with orange wheel or twist.
- •Pisco Sour2 oz. pisco, 1 oz. lemon juice, 1 oz. simple syrup, 1 small egg white. Dry shake the egg white for 10 seconds with an ice cube. Add the pisco, lemon juice and syrup and more ice and shake until very cold. Strain into a cocktail glass and add one drop Angosturo bitters on the foam.
- •Sazerac2 oz. Rye, 1 sugar cube, absinthe or her saint, 3 dashes Peychaud's bitters. Wash the glass with absinthe and discard. Middle the rye and sugar cube until dissolved. Add ice and bitters. Garnish with orange peel.
- •Dark and Stormy2 oz. rum, lime, ginger beer. Fill a highball with ice. Add the rum, juice of 1 lime and fill with ginger beer. Stir.
- •Mint Julep2 oz. bourbon, 1/2 oz. bar sugar, several mint leaves. In a silver cup or rocks glass, muddle the mint and sugar. Add ice and bourbon. Garnish with mint sprig.