Reasons My Mom Is More Awesome Than Yours
- •She recognized very early on that life with my father would not make for a healthy home life, so she divorced him while I was still a baby.Really, this was for the best all around, though I did eventually develop a relationship with him.
- •She raised me as a single mom while putting herself through school AND working full time.You try that.
- •We were very, very poor. But I never knew it.She made sure I never went without.
- •She never told me I couldn't be anything, nor what I should be.
- •She didn't mind my crazy 80s hair days.
- •She was nothing less than supportive when I came out.She admitted she was scared. This was the AIDS crisis after all. But she trusted me.
- •She let me make my own mistakes and solve my own problems.But I always knew there was a safety net.
- •After I got together with my husband, she hated that she couldn't find greeting cards that were appropriate for our anniversary and holidays. So she started a company and made them.
- •She has had to make some serious sacrifices, even and especially recently, but she remained strong throughout.How can you not admire that?