What I Do
When people ask what I do, I have a short answer. But as I am a freelancer, it's not that simple.
- •Short answer: I'm a freelance writerI've been writing professionally for almost 20 years. I started in tech, and was a travel editor for a few years.
- •Slightly longer answer: I'm a freelance food writerI started my blog, Hedonia (http://bit.ly/1PfUSUA) in 2006, and have freelanced since then.
- •More specifically: I write about food preservation
- •I'm a community managerPunk Domestics is a community of contributors and readers, so I have to tend that garden.
- •I'm a copywriterI have to take on other freelance work to support my food writing habit. I do product copy for Williams-Sonoma and for Din, a local company that delivers half-prep meals you finish at home.
- •I sometimes write for other peopleI periodically contribute to the Bay Area Reporter's BARtab section, have written a couple things for Sunset, and have two pieces in the upcoming issue of Dinosaur Intl Magazine.
- •I'm an email marketing consultantFor the California Wine Institute, an advocacy group for the state's wine industry. I also manage the email communications for my husband's real estate business (http://bit.ly/1KZtDrl).
- •I'm a tour guide
- •I'm a speaker and instructorI've taught classes at 18 Reasons and FarmCurious, and have been a speaker and panelist at numerous conferences.