PATIENTS ON "IN TREATMENT," RANKED
Been revisiting hbo's late, great In Treatment for a book I'm working on (which is itself a bunch of lists) and was struck again by how many great performances and characters it had over three seasons. Figured I would rank all the therapy patients. For more on In Treatment, go to http://tvthebook.com
- 1.Paul. Cheating, but not. He did see his own shrink every week, and Gabriel Byrne was amazing.
- 2.Sunil. Irrfan Khan singlehandedly justifies the existence of season 3.
- 3.April. I literally shudder thinking about how good Alison Pill was here.
- 4.Sophie. Paul is great with kids, and it was clear Mia Wasikowska was destined for a big career.
- 5.Walter. His breakdown in week 6 is an all timer.
- 6.Alex's dad. In one episode, Glynn Turman stole all of season 1 out from under the other patients.
- 7.Mia. Such fun watching Hope Davis and Byrne spar.
- 8.Alex. One of Blair Underwood's best performances.
- 9.Oliver. Again, Paul + kids = magic.
- 10.Jesse. See Oliver.
- 11.Laura. Plot-wise, an important character, but other s1 patients were more compelling.
- 12.Luke. Had a few good moments in absence of spouse and son.
- 13.Bess. See Luke.
- 14.Amy/Jake (tie) never clicked as characters, alone or together.
- 15.Frances. Big disappointment, given the relative rarity of a Debra Winger performance. Too many cliches.